There are some things that even money can’t buy, and one of the most valuable contributions that families make to a school is the gift of their time and expertise. Parents, grandparents, and friends of the school are often found helping in the office, assisting in the classrooms, serving as field-trip drivers, offering a special class, planning the next special event, coaching, or serving on parents’ associations or school committees.
Parents play a crucial role in Montessori. Our schools are communities of parents and educators (many of whom will also have children enrolled at the school). Our ideas and input often help to shape the school. Montessori schools are normally very responsive to suggestions and concerns.
Most Montessori schools encourage families to participate in the broader life of the school through social and educational activities. Although many parents spend considerable amounts of time as volunteers, except for parent cooperative schools, there is normally no expectation for a set-time commitment.
Parents and grandparents, who give of their time and talent, share with their children special memories of experiences and friendships that endure well beyond their graduation.
A few ways in which you might be able to help your school:
• Volunteer a few hours a week to help in the office
• Lend your time and support to our fundraising efforts
• Help out in the library
• Volunteer to be an Ambassador Family to parents new to the school
• Serve on one of the school’s committees
• Help put together the school newsletter
• Help the teachers organize field trips or special lessons
• Join in at open houses to meet prospective families
• Help organize special events
• Volunteer your time to help the school prepare major mailings
• Teach a special course
• Help students work in the garden
• Share your talents and special interests, such as a musical instrument that you play, a second language that you speak, a craft that you enjoy, or a field that you’ve studied
• Volunteer your time to coach a team or after-school club
• Serve as a class parent
• Help to organize a reunion for former students and their families
Like all schools, Montessori schools blossom when parents are generous with the gift of time, talent, and expertise.